Sunday 2 November 2014

Colour has decayed and now it's gone

In a previous post, I described the characteristics and effects of one of my favourites: "Colour" or 4-Ho-Met.

Early this year I had sourced an amount of this compound from a manufacturer in the P.R.C -where most chems actually come from, if you have ever wondered that- and stored most of it in an airtight, steel container away from heat, humidity and every other source of harm.

After a few months I opened the steel can and to my surprise all the 4-Ho-Met had degraded into a tarry, disgusting mess - it looked like hashish resin: a lustrous and almost wet, brittle slab.

In storage the whole batch of 4-Ho-Met had decayed. My heart sank when I realised that "the Colour" had gone bad so dramatically. Shit.

The rest of the compounds in said steel can looked fresh and properly stored. What could have happened to 4-Ho-Met? Could it be that it was impure, or was not properly purified? Could it be that it spontaneously degrades? Maybe something else?

I started researching around the 'net and could not find an answer, until I got to a Russian forum: in it I read about the fragility of the 4-substituted tryptamine molecules - they seem to degrade without any apparent reason; even for those who keep them stowed away safely in a refrigerated container. Those buggers are unstable by nature.

It seems I am not the first to report on the degradation of 4-Ho-Met. The "tar" is supposed to be some deranged byproduct of 4-Ho-Met that underwent major dimerisation, polymerisation, something-else.

"The tar" is presumably psychoactive, but I did not have the courage to try its effects. As I do not have a Mass Spectrometer with me, I refuse to be a test subject for something unknown that could be really bad. Ironic statement for a psychedelic dad, but very sensible.

I did test the solubility of "the tar" - it dissolves in water and in ethanol (vodka) and the liquid has a very dark brown colour, almost purple. Very unappealing and dirty-looking.

"The tar" in a bowl with water
Off the drain it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment